Saturday, December 14, 2013

Wok Wednesdays: Kung Pao Chicken


The best Kung Pao Chicken ever! My experience has been on the oily side, but this recipe is hardly so.  The combination of Sichuan peppercorns and hot chilis blending with the dark sauces and sesame oil flavored this chicken quite nicely.  I was on the cautious side using only a couple of Thai chilis rather than the 4-8 red chili peppers that was called for. I had not used Sichuan peppercorns so I wasn't sure how strong the combination would be. I savored the fragrance of the roasted and freshly grounded Sichuan peppers which reminded me of Kevin's favorite Chicken Chili Hot Pot at Taste of China.


The main ingredients are cubed chicken breasts, red peppers, roasted and unsalted peanuts, minced scallions, and dried red chills which I substituted with fresh Thai chilis.

I continue to use "the mise en place" in the stir-fry process since the stir-frying requires adding ingredients within minutes, yet,  I am looking forward to stir-frying without the need for measuring ingredients one day! I am so used to drizzling sauces and wines into the pan.

This colorful recipe has put me in a holiday spirit!




 I would absolutely make this recipe again. In fact, the two chilis was enough to give the dish a peppery flavor that even the kids  enjoyed it. Shocking. And I'm so glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment